On the Friday morning of June 8 1956, the graduating seniors of Bellevue High School were served a “pirate breakfast” aboard the Four Winds floating restaurant at the southwest corner of Lake Union. By then many of the 194 seniors were surely nodding after an “All Night Party” of movies, dancing Dixieland, and a night club show at Seattle’s Town and Country Club. All was paid for by their parents who also selflessly served in two-hour relays of 25 as chaperones.
For the seniors the “pirate theme” was extended that morning with on board gifts of jewelry, aka booty. For the city the thieves’ theme was marked around the clock by what the eccentric restaurant’s management advertised as their “huge pirate atop the ship Four Winds, Headquarters for the Seattle Seafair Pirates.”
Ron Edge found a print for this subject years ago in Bernie’s antique shop on Bothell Way before Bernie closed the shop for good. Ron Jensen, the photographer, is listed in the 1956 City Directory as a City Light photographer, and this kindles an irony. On July 22, 1966, the Surfside 9 (its last name) sank at this southwest corner of Lake Union for want of paying City Light. When the bilge pumps failed the restaurant tipped and dropped to the shallow bottom while its piano floated around the cocktail lounge.
First built in Everett in 1900 as the City of Everett, the long-lived mosquito fleet steamer was later widened into the auto ferry Ballard for routine Puget Sound crossings to Port Ludlow.
The Four Winds aka Surfside 9 will be remembered by many Pacific Readers, for the sunken vessel rested rusted and rotted until lifted ton by ton in 1972 by Mason Construction’s floating derrick, the Viking. In the environmental spirit then prevalent, Mason donated the Viking’s labor and the Army Corp contributed two haul-away barges. The pieces were buried by the Corp in a land fill near Everett, the vessel’s original home port.
ALSO – NOT TO BE MISTAKEN WITH THE GOLDEN ANCHOR
Anything to add, Paul?
Surely Jean, beginning with links to four or five past blogs, each of which trails a variety of features with maritime subjects – including Lake Union. Ron Edge will put those up first. Later this evening I’ll add more pixs – those that I find by then.
A RANDOM SAMPLER of LAKE UNION SUBJECTS Briefly Noted
After an about three month wrestle with our blog’s server we have persuaded it with a little more cash and plenty of pitiful coaxing to do us right, and so have returned for more weekly (we hope) postings of HELIX. This week it is the issue penultimate to the first SKY RIVER ROCK FIRE FESTIVAL. It is for the most part about the line-up of artists expected over that Labor Day Weekend outside of Sultan on Betty Nelson’s strawberry farm. (The berries were not in season.) Again, Bill White and I have returned with some joined reflections on what we find within the tabloid, and this time Bill has also attached a MEDLEY of SONGS performed by SKY RIVER ARTISTS at that time – or nearly then. He found them , of course, on YouTube. Ron Edge is engineering it all – or nearly. The long-distance recording on Skype that features Bill and I did not record off of Skye Itself. Rather, Bill (in Peru) had to fall back on the work of his small recorder set between himself and his computer in his apartment about 100 yards from the Pacific surf. It is a prudent precaution he consistently takes. So this week, while Bill’s voice is not filtered through the computer’s speaker, mine is, and resembles, Ron notes, a “mouse in the corner.”
B.White and P. Dorpat
For a MEDLEY of SONGS performed by SKY RIVER ARTISTS, click below image:
For those who pay attention to credits and have been following this feature for a few years, Lawton Gowey is a familiar name. This is another of the probably hundreds of historical subjects that Lawton has shared with Pacific readers because he shared them with me.
Here we look northeast through the Queen Anne intersection of Crockett Street, and 7th Ave W. The photo was recorded sometime before 1912, when these streets were paved, and after 1905-6 the years the houses were built facing Seventh. Archivist Phil Stairs at the Puget Sound Regional Archive checked their “tax cards” for remodels and concluded, “You could say that there was an enterprising asbestos salesman in the neighborhood in 1957.” That year two of the four were wrapped in that baleful blanket.
By then Lawton Gowey was in his third year as both organist and director of the senior choir at Bethany Presbyterian Church on the top of the hill. Lawton live all his life on Queen Anne, and he knew its history, especially that side of it having to do with, “From here to there – land transportation.” That’s the title Lawton used for a lecture on Seattle’s trollies he gave in 1962 at the Museum of History and Industry.
Actually, this accountant for the Seattle Water Department also knew a lot about ships, churches, J.S. Bach, and English history, but it was trolleys that he chased as a boy with his father and a camera.
I met Lawton in 1981, but our friendship was a regrettably brief one. On a late Sunday morning in the winter of 1983 while preparing for church the 61-year-old organist’s heart stopped. He left Jean, his wife, daughters Linda and Marcia, his father Clarence, scores of rail fans and his collection of trolley photos and ephemera, which Jean directed to the University of Washington Library’s Special Collections.
Anything to add, Paul?
Surely Jean – but merely what we can find in the time allowed by our shared rush to also assemble and massage our First Hill lectures. And so a few – only – more pixs of Queen Anne Hill – most of them in the vicinity of the feature above, and also three or four links to former related features, which Ron Edge will gather and apply. However, we will begin not with the links, but with Lawton’s own “now” for the above look north on 7th Ave. West. He dates it March 8, 1981. Then two more Gowey repeats from the same corner – one looking more directly north down Seventh and other other east on Crockett. We will then show a detail of the immediate neighborhood from the 1912 Baist Map followed by the FOUR CLIPS. Each of the pictures following the 1912 BAIST MAP, if clicked will take the reader into a many faceted exploration of a related subject. All, again, have something to do with Queen Anne Hill (and Magnolia too).
FOUR QUEEN ANNE NEIGHBORHOOD LINKS FOLLOW
SEATTLE CHILDREN’S HOME
(First appeared in Pacific April 15, 1984)
Seattle’s oldest charity is now one hundred (1984). On April 3, 1884, fifteen of the city’s “leading ladies” – Sarah Yesler, Babette Gatzert, Mercie Boone, and Mary Leary included – gathered in the large living room of the Leary mansion at Second and Madison. There they pledged themselves to “the systematic benevolent work of aiding and assisting the poor and destitute regardless of creed, nationality, or color.” Incorporating as the Ladies Relief Society, these women activists gave birth to “one of Seattle’s biggest families,” nurtured now for a century in the Seattle Children’s Home.
From the beginning the “quality of their mercy” focused on “orphans and friendless children,” those little Nels and Oliver Twists who had seemingly stepped out of Charles Dicken’s novels and onto the back streets of Seattle. 1884 was a depression year, and Seattle, then recently the largest town in the territory, had its depressing and even desperate parts. The women’s charity was needed.
Within a month, the group’s membership grew to more than 100. The women divided the city into districts and themselves into visiting committees responsible for searching out the “needs of the poor within their districts’ boundaries.” What they uncovered were new accounts of that old story of the runaway father and the distraught mother.
The Society needed a home, and in August of 1886 the first Seattle Children’s Home was opened to 30 children. The home’s site, donated by Louisa and David Denny, was at what is now  another children’s gamboling ground, Seattle Center’s Fun Forest.
Pictured above is the charity’s second home and its first at the present location on Queen Anne Hill. “Here,” the Town Crier reported in 1912, “45 children, either orphans or fatherless are cared for. . . under the gentle guidance of Mrs. Anna Dow Urie and two assistants . . . 700 loaves of bread a month and a jolly old janitor who never lets the furnace die down.”
This was a kind of family, and the religious Mrs. Urie never had any doubt as to its head. She said, “I have never taught creeds in the home, but all these children have been told of God, and His love, and that He will be a father to them when earthly fathers forsake, as they so often do.”
Now in its fourth home and 100 years since its founding, this “family” enters its second century with the support of Society volunteers, donations, and the United Way. A professional staff of childcare specialists now adds its earthly skills to Mrs. Urie’s heavenly variety of “kindly custodial care to orphans and friendless children.”
SEVENTH CHURCH of CHRIST SCIENTIST: Secreted and Saved Landmark
On the late morning of Tuesday, May 22nd last (2007), the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation held a press conference intended to turn the fate of one of Seattle’s most exquisite landmarks away from its planned destruction and towards something else – something “adaptive” like another church, a community center or even a home – a big home.
The Trust not only included the Seventh Church of Christ Scientist on its 2007 list of the Washington State’s “most endangered historic properties.” It then also used the front steps of this Queen Anne landmark as the place to circle the wagons for statewide preservation. It was an especially strong sign by the Trust and for its extended family of historians, architects, citizens – including sensitive neighbors of the church – of how cherished is the Seventh Church.
Seattle architect and painter Harlan Thomas (1870 – 1953) created the unique sanctuary for the then energetic congregation of Christ Scientists on Seattle’ Queen Ann Hill in 1926. It was the year he was also made head of the Architecture Department at the University of Washington, a position he held until 1940.
Although a local architectural marvel this sanctuary is not well know because of its almost secreted location. The address is 2555 8th Ave. W. — at the Avenue’s northwest corner with West Halladay Street. Except to live near it or to visit someone living near it there are few extraordinary reasons to visit this peaceful neighborhood, except to enjoy this fine melding of architectural features from the Byzantine, Mission, Spanish Colonial and other traditions.
Since the Trust created it in 1992 the “Endangered List” has not been an immoderate tool in the service of state heritage. Less than 100 sites have made this register, which is really the Trust’s emergency broadside for historic preservation. [This campaign from 2007 was successful. The sanctuary was saved.
The following seven records of architect Willcox’s imaginative Queen Anne Boulevard retaining walls were photographed by Frank Shaw in 1976,
ANOTHER and TEMPORARILY UNIDENTIFIED Queen Anne “Now and Then” by LAWTON GOWEY
PICTURE/CLIPPINGS from LAWTON GOWEY’S QUEEN ANNE ARCHIVE
RESEARCH NOTES for the FEATURE at the Top.
Most of these notes on the first four homes on the east side of 7th Ave. West north of Crockett Street were got from the Washington State Archive’s tax cards and key-word searches of The Seattle Times. Please forgive the typos. They are the sins of speed typing. Only one persons listed came forward with a picture – the public school teacher Lou R. Key. And she is shown with some uncertainty. The portraits as well as the group shot all come from the Seattle School District’s Archives – thanks to Archivists Aaren L. Purcell. That is Lou R. Key posing with her in the Campfire group shot, and surely one or more of those in the three remaining single shots are also of Ms. Key. But not all three. Nos. 2 & 4 appear in the same informal group photo of teachers.
Again, teachers No. 2 and 4 are from the same group photograph, but does either of them look more like Lou R. Key in photo No. 1, far-left, than the other? To my eye No’s 2 and 3 look alike.
614 W. CROCKETT
The house on the east 1/2 of lot 20(614 W. Crockett) was built in 1914
as a one story house with 3 rooms in the attic. The first owner noted
is the Seattle Federal Saving and Loan Co., 11/10/1938. It was
subsequently purchased by Eunice C. Smith in 1941, George & Loa Gratias
in 1952, John H. Wadeson in April 1961 and the Ruth D. Coone (?) in June
1961. It missed having asbestos siding put on.
2102 7TH AVE. WEST
On the W 1/2 of lot 20 is the house at 2102 7th Ave. W. It was built in
1905 and apparently remodeled in 1919. It is a one story house with a
garage in the basement. The original siding was cedar but that was
crossed out and “Metal 8″ was added, possibly in 1957. The first owner
noted was Elsie M. Schroeder as of 6/27/1922. Aurilla Doerner et al
bought the property in 1972.
* ST Dec. 19-1909 John Davis listing for Rent, Unfurnished houses”: 2102 7th Ave. W., 4-rm mod cost.16.00 (dollars a month I assume)
* ST July 30, 1978 Wallace & Wheeler, Inc. listingQUEEN ANNE 2102 7TH AVE. W. $46,500 AN ENCHANTING SMALL HOME, WITH PUGET SOUND view FOR THE SINGLE OR COUPLE WHO WANT a nice neighborhood – in the city, charming living room with fireplace, small dining, I bedroom, basement, garage.Seetoday with Marybelle Eggertsen or call 524-6210 or 325-9862 (eves)
* 1938 Polk: A.A.Schroeder(a.a.schroeder shows up as a realtor in 4-7-29)
2104 7th ave. W
Lot 19,2104 7th Ave. W., was a two story house built in 1905. The
first owner noted is Jessie Schwartz who bought it on 8/12/1936. Harold
F. Anderson bought the property in 1972. This house also had asbestos
siding put on in 1957.
2104 7th ave. W
* ST 5-7-1906 MB. CRANE & CO. List rentals with us we advertise – we rent. HOUSES $22.00 – 2104 7th Ave. W.6-room modern house; com. Fix
* ST 7-6-06CRANE & Co.2104 7th Ave W. 6-room modern hose; very fine view; on car line
* ST 4-15-56Rites for Miss Key ex-teacher.Christian Science funeral service for Miss Lou R. Key, a retire Seattle elementary school teach will be held at 2 in Johnson and Hamilton chapel. Cremation will follow.Miss Key died Friday at her home, 2104 Seventh Ave. S. She retired about five years ago after teaching in Seattle schools about 40 years.She taught many years at John Muir School and later at Leschi.Born in Missouri grad of Cottey Junior College Nevada, Mo.Member of 4th Church of Christ, Scientist.Survivors include three sisters and a brother in the East.
* ST Jan 29, 1920Lou R. Key mistaken for a man when Key is a candidate for a Times contest to send 6 teachers to Europe battlefields and 4 other teachers to Yellowstone park.Of the 191 candidates only 18 are men, Times makes the point “ONLY 18 MEN ON LIST OF HONOR – Women Instructors Not only One who Hope to Visit Battlefields of Europe.Votes are Pouring in . . . Eighteen forlorn gentlemen hemmed in by prejudice and necessity of hearing out their ‘ladies first’ principles, yet wanting to go to Europe as guests of The Times.That is the status of mere man in the teachers’ selection balloting being conducted by The Seattle Times.
* ST Feb. 28, 1926 Benefit for Orthopedic Hosp. March 15. North Queen Anne Guild to give Bridge and Mah Jong Tea at Olympia.Spanish Ballroom Among reservations are Mrs. Lou R. Key. (The school teacher Lou Key is mistaken for a man.)
* Lou R. Key listed at Muir school in 1921 and at Leschi school in 1942 & 1944 last times listing before funeral notice.
* Polke 1938 directory: 2104 7th Ave. W.Richard C. OutsenST 10-3-1951 Jesdame Richard C. Outsend listed as member of Dandleers Dancing Club executive committee, beginning its seventh year and will hold its first of six dances sat eve at 8:30 in Women’s Century club.
2108 7th Ave. W.
The house on lot 18,2108 7th Ave. W. was built in 1906. The first
owner shown is H. I. Pappe who bought it on 8/19/1926. It was a two
story building. It was purchased in 1941 by Frank M. Heyland. Asbestos
siding was added to the house in 1957.
* Only one listing that on Sept 22, 1946 Frank L. McGuire, Inc. Open for Inspection: 2 to 3 pm 2108 7th Ave. W. $7,000 Queen Anne 3-B R. Home. Full basement garage hdw floors, tiled kitchen, close to school, bus, shopping district. Call Mr. Neal Mitchell SE 1100
* 1938 Polk: Andrew Fyfe, landscape gardener.ST 2-7-1950 obit.65 years old died in home at 2138 4th ave w after a short illness. Born in Dundee Scotland, live in Seattle for 31 years. He was a landscape gardener. Survived by wife Elizabeth daughter Betty and Mrs Lillian Hansen, Son Andrew Fyfe Jr. and two grand children all of Seattle.
2110 7th Ave. W.
For the house on lot 17, 2110 7th Ave. W., it was built in 1905 as a one
family dwelling, one story with attic (two rooms in attic). There is a
note that a permit was taken out for a new garage. The only owner shown
is G. S. Hamman who bought the property 10/24/1958. Unfortunately the
name from c. 1937 was erased.
* ST 10-22-21Having to do with S.Times sport contest in Upper Woodland Park but with contestant from Q. Anne Hill connected with Coe School –Stuart Curtis 13 years old 2110 7th Ave. W. / David Curtis 11 years old 2110 7th Ave W.1921 POLK has a Gold N. Curtis living at 2110 7th Ave.W. and listed as a “driver”In Stimes for June 12, 1936 under Marriage licenses Gold M. Curtis, Legal , Wenatchee, and Almoa Porter, Legal, Wenatchee are listed.Don’t know what the “legal” means.It is commonplace in these listings but not in the majority of them.
* ST 8-16-73 Obit for Harry T. Sappenfield – 63 at 2110 7th Ave. ww2 vet. & retired longshoreman Local 19.Viola wife. Bleitz funeral home
On April 28 Denny Park Lutheran Church celebrated its 125th Anniversary. Thru the years the parish has changed its name and affiliations a few times while building four sanctuaries on four different corners. All were sited near the business district – at the expanding northern end of it.
As an example, this, the first of the congregation’s homes, was built quickly at the northeast corner of Pine and 4th on a lot that cost $2,000 in 1888 and was sold for $19,000 a dozen years later. The congregation then soon moved seven blocks north to Fifth and Wall and built again on a cheaper lot. These adept economics were typical of many congregations sitting with their churches on Seattle lots made increasingly valuable during those most booming years of the city’s growth.
Named the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church by its 16 founding members in 1888, services were first held nearby in the Swedish Lutheran Church and when ready in the basement of this their own first sanctuary. To build such a stately tower must have required the charitable labor of at least a few skilled Scandinavian carpenters. By 1890 there were twenty churches within six blocks of these Lutherans at 4th and Pine, and seven of these twenty were identified by their attachment to Sweden, Norway, and/or Denmark. And the Scandinavian migration to Puget Sound picked-up in the 1890s when thousands more moved here, for nearly everything was like the old country: the fish, the trees, the dirt, the snow-capped peaks but without a state religion.
Leaving this southeast slope of Denny Hill in 1904, the new parish – with less tower but more pews – was still located on the doomed Denny Hill. Then five years later the second sanctuary was razed with the hill and these Lutherans were forced to build sanctuary number three. Erected at Boren and Virginia, it was the congregation’s home from 1912 to 1939 when they moved again, this time to Eighth and John. The parish then changed its name to Denny Park Lutheran Church identifying with the “green pastures” of its neighbor, the city’s oldest public park.
Anything to add, Paul? Mostly photos Jean, although we will start with another feature, one that looks east on Pine Street from near 2nd Avenue in the early 1890s. It includes our Lutherans at the northeast corner of 4th and Pine, the Methodist Protestants at the southeast corner of 3rd and Pine. The feature first appeared in Pacific on March 2, 1986, and is almost entirely about the Methodists – bless them.
METHODIST PROTESTANTS at 3rd and PINE, ca. 1892
(First appeared in Pacific, March 2, 1986)
The first two churches in Seattle were both Methodist.One was Methodist Episcopalian and the other Methodist Protestant. Long before any Methodists settled in Seattle, their denomination split over how much power to give bishops.
In 1865, when the Methodist Protestants of Seattle built their church, the primary difference between it and the earlier Methodist Episcopal sanctuary was not doctrine but color. The first church was white and the new MP sanctuary was painted brown. From then on they were known simply as the white and brown churches.
Here the “Brown Church” has lightened up, with the third “permanent” home for the congregation. The original brown colored church at the northwest corner of Second Avenue and Madison Street was replaced in 1883 with an enlarged sanctuary. Its new stone veneer skin, however, did not save it from the “Great Fire” of 1889. This is the parish that the congregation, after worshiping for a year in tents, built in 1890 at the southeast corner of Pine Street and Third Avenue.
Clark Davis became pastor in 1885. He bought the lot and built this church for about $40,000. Next door he raised a comfortable parsonage for himself, his wife Cleo and their two sons. The Gothic Revival sanctuary could seat 1,000 and often did. Clark was ambitious and in 1896, after resigning his pastorate, he went for and won the jobs of registrar at the University of Washington and secretary to its Board of Regents.
The Pine Street Regrade (1903-06) lowered this comer 10 feet and converted the church basement into its first floor. With regrades on Third Avenue and Denny Hill coming at them, the parishioners sold their comer for $100,000 and moved in 1906 to a new stone church on Capitol Hill. As soon as the Methodists moved out, the Third Avenue Theater moved in.
NEXT we will ZOOM-IN on another look up 4th Ave from about the same time as the above classic. Both are from the Webster and Stevens Collection kept at the Museum of History and Industry.
A few more photos will be added tomorrow after breakfast. For now it is “climb the stairway to nighty-bears.”
If for your next road trip north to Everett across our rolling “North Plateau” you should choose Aurora – and we recommend it – keep an eye out for this by now cherished landmark. You will find it a few blocks south of the county line. If you pay attention, the two-story flatiron Echo Lake Tavern, will seem to be pointing it’s narrowest end at you just above and west of its namesake lake.
In the summer of 1905 construction on the Seattle-Everett approached what artful promoters called the Echo Lake Garden Tracks. For “$500 dollars, $50 dollars down and $10 a month” five acres parcels were plugged as “suitable for chicken duck and goose ranches.” Herman Butzke opened the Echo Lake Bathing Beach instead. Butzke had been admired as a singing bartender at Seattle’s famed “Billy the Mug” saloon. He was also a picture-framer, and finally before opening his resort, a plumber at the nearby Firlands Sanatorium. His first customers at the lake were nurses who paid a nickel to use his shelters for changing.
Click the Firland text below TWICE to enlarge.
This landmark tavern came later. After a new route for Aurora was graded here in the mid 1920s, Echo Lake resident Theodore Millan built the two-story roadhouse in 1928 on its triangular lot squeezed between the new Aurora and the old Echo Lake Pl. N. Here the latter leads to the canoes, tents and new beds of Scotty’s short-lived Paradise. With the uncorking of prohibition in late 1933, Millan rented his flatiron to Carl and Jane Melby, for their Tavern.
Vicki Stiles, the helpful and scholarly Executive Director of the Shoreline Historical Museum (nearby at 18501 Linden Ave. N.), had heard rumors that the florist Carl Melby had more than liked his booze during prohibition as well. The sleuthing Stiles discovered that Melby had been arrested at least three times transporting mostly illegal Canadian liquor. (We follow below with several Seattle Times clips on Melby’s career.) One night at Sunset beach near Anacortes he was chased into the Strait of Juan de Fuca up to his neck, collared and pulled ashore. In 1942 the then 56-year-old tavern owner was finally felled and also near Anacortes. While fishing off Sinclair Island, he was leveled by a heart attack. Considering Carl’s inclinations his death may have been mellowed by liquor – legal bonded liquor.
Anything to add, Paul? Yes, and starting with more Aurora by returning with the “Edge Patch” below to the extended feature we ran here on March 16 last, which was, I think, shortly before we started having consistent inconsistency from both our blog’s server and it program. So touch Signal Gas immediately below and repeat a variety of what are mostly early speedway views on Aurora.
(First appears in Pacific, July 7, 1985)
Almost half a century ago, it took a little over an hour to go from Seattle to Everett on the Interurban. The electric cars reached 60 mph on the straight stretches – an adventure still remembered by many. The Interurban stopped at North Park, Pershing, Foy, Richmond Highlands, A1derwood, Ronald – names still familiar. It also delivered passengers to several lakeside stations as well – including Martha, Silver, Ballinger, Bitter and Echo lakes. The name “Bitter” was misleading, however, because that lake was the spot for the decidedly sweet excitement of P1ayland, for many years the region’s largest amusement park. But few remember Echo Lake as it appears in this week’s historical setting.
Construction began on the Interurban in 1902, in Ballard. By 1905 it reached 14 miles out to Lake Ballinger, just beyond Echo Lake. The line prospered, at first not so much from paying customers as by hauling lumber and its byproducts and accessories. It’s a fair speculation that Fred Sander, the Interurban’s builder, hired Asahel Curtis to photograph this morning view of the new-looking pile trestle that spanned the swampy northeast comer of Echo Lake.
Sander soon sold out the streetcar company to Stone and Webster. By 1910 they completed the line to Everett and replaced Sander’s little passenger cars (like the one posing in the photo) with 10 long and plush air-conditioned common carriers. In 1912 the company also buried its Echo Lake wood trestle beneath a landfill.
The next year, 1913, Herman Butzke, his wife and daughter, Florence, moved into a two-room cabin they built at the southwest comer –or opposite shore from the Curtis photo – of Echo Lake. They were the third family to move to the lake, and Florence Butzke Erickson still lives there. [In 1985]
During the summer of 1917, nurses and doctors from the new and nearby Firland Sanatorium periodically escaped from their care for tubercular patients to swim in the clear waters of Echo Lake. With their help, Butzke built a few lakeside dressing rooms, and thereby began the half-century of the Echo Lake Bathing Beach. (It closed in 1966 for the construction of condos.)
The Seattle-Everett Interurban did not last so long, but When it did quit, it was one of the last of the nation’s rapid-transit systems to surrender to the new taste in transport: the car. The modern pathway for the auto was the Pacific Coast Highway – or, in town, Aurora Avenue. It, like the Interurban, also passed by Echo Lake, and in the late 1920s when it was being built, property lots about the lake were being pushed as the “highlight of Plateau Norte, the most beautiful and attractive homesite addition ever offered … A heavily traveled highway such as the new Seattle-Everett 100-foot boulevard is like a gold-bearing stream.”
Within 30 years, this gold-bearing stream would be stripped of its glitter and give way to the freeway. Now  Interstate 5 is in its third decade and looking, perhaps, for the relief of rapid transit. Much of the old Everett Interurban right-of-way is still intact: a grassy strip of power poles and little parks. It seems to be waiting for the Interurban.