Looking northwest from 7th Avenue, we find near the center of this subject the Jefferson Street entrance to “our” alley. The big white structure above the alley is the Kalmar Hotel at the southeast corner of James and 6th Avenue. This “then” and the “now” that follows it, appeared with essay in this blog recently – somewhat. The “then” dates from late 1887 or early 1888. That spring Central School, far left horizon, burned to the ground.