Blockhouse-NOW-MR

NOW:Jean Sherrards “repeat” for Dr. Taylors drawing was taken from the southeast corner of Colman Dock, a location that in 1855 was still in water deep enough for the USS Decatur and close to the proper perspective for his drawing of Seattle’s then new north blockhouse. Sherrard’s “now” is also capped by two competing Pioneer neighborhood landmarks, the Post Street smokestack and the Smith Tower. In 1902 the Seattle Electric steam plant began delivering its sooty black cloud to the neighborhood, which after the terra-cotta clad tower’s dedication in 1914 helped dim its gleaming facade.

Leave a Reply