The 1906 construction of Westlake Avenue left a litter of triangular-shaped blocks on either side of the swath cut by the new street. Ten years later, the wedge at Sixth Avenue and Virginia Street, photographed March 23, 1915, was still a hole surrounded by billboards, as was most of the complementing block across Westlake. Owner T.J. Nestor’s small For Sale sign sits atop the Wrigley’s Doublemint mural just left of the telephone pole closest to the photographer. Nestor did not have to wait much longer to make a deal. In 1916 the gaudy block was replaced by a two-story commercial building. Through the years its occupants were a sampling of businesses one might expect to find at the northern border of the city’s retail core. The list includes a B.F. Goodrich tire store, the Seattle Home Show, the Triangle Hat Shop, Preservative Paint Company, Pacific Lighting Fixtures and Otto’s Hamburgers. In 1979, McDonald’s, a hamburger vendor with a grill bigger than Otto’s, renewed the odd-shaped site with a new brick structure and hopes of servicing the corporation’s trillionth customer. The historical view was photographed from the last bit of Denny Hill that survived the early-century regrade. In 1919 this final bit of elevation was also steam-shoveled to the district’s present grade.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.