Seattle Now & Then: Alki landing anniversary, 2000

(Click and click again to enlarge photos)

THEN 1: Performing Nov. 13, 2000, at the opening of “The Spirit Returns” exhibit at the Alki-based Log House Museum of the Southwest Seattle Historical Society is the Suquamish Traditional Dance Group. In the mid-19th century, the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes were led by Chief Seattle, for whom our city was named. (Deborah Mendenhall)
NOW: At the Duwamish Longhouse on West Marginal Way are (from left) Heidi Bohan, curator for the Duwamish portion of “The Spirit Returns 2.0”; Jolene Haas, executive director of Duwamish Tribal Services and daughter of Cecile Hansen, tribal chair; and, from the Southwest Seattle Historical Society, Kathy Blackwell, board president; Maggie Kase. curator of the historical-society portion of “The Spirit Returns 2.0”; and Michael King, executive director. Haas holds a cedar-bark hat worn by Chief Seattle that is part of the Duwamish display. The dual exhibit opened Oct. 9. Info: LogHouseMuseum.org and DuwamishTribe.org. (Jean Sjerrard)

Published in the Seattle Times online on Nov. 18, 2021
and in PacificNW Magazine of the printed Times on Nov. 21, 2021

‘The Spirit Returns 2.0’ unveils a dual look at landing anniversary
By Clay Eals

Time was, a round-numbered anniversary was a straightforward occasion to celebrate. No longer, in the case of our city’s birth. Today we can witness a more complex — and richer — commemoration.

THEN 2: Rolland Denny, a babe in arms when he was part of the Alki Landing Party on Nov. 13, 1851, inspects the “Birthplace of Seattle” obelisk in 1938. The 1905 monument, moved across Alki Avenue in 1926 and augmented by plaques unveiled by the Southwest Seattle Historical Society on Nov. 13, 2001, still stands today along the beach. ( Museum of History & Industry)

This month’s round number is 170, the number of years from Nov. 13, 1851, the cold and rainy day when the so-called Denny Party famously landed at Alki Beach after traveling west from Illinois and sailing north from Portland to establish a new home.

It’s the date carved into the “Birthplace of Seattle” obelisk that has stood at Alki since 1905.

Of course, complications arise from long-repeated references to that simplified tale:

  • The 22 who landed on Nov. 13 were not the first Euro-American settlers who arrived in what became known as Seattle.
  • Besides Dennys, other families were in the Nov. 13 group, with the familiar names of Boren, Bell, Terry and Low, calling into question the “Denny Party” designation. (All except the Lows later were rewarded with Seattle street names.)
  • The obelisk identified the married women in the group merely as “and wife.”
  • The 1851 landing does not denote Seattle’s official birth. The city was incorporated in 1865 and, after its charter was voided, was re-incorporated in 1869.

The most egregious error, however, lies in the story’s neglect for the presence of Native Americans for thousands of years prior to the landing. The obelisk’s “birthplace” reference thus reflected solely the perception of immigrants, many who forcefully dismissed (and later eradicated) the lives and culture that existed before their arrival.

On Nov. 13, 2000, the Southwest Seattle Historical Society began correcting the course, launching “The Spirit Returns,” an exhibit telling the Duwamish and settler stories at the organization’s Log House Museum at Alki.

One year later, it unveiled new plaques on the beach monument. The markers recast the settlers as the Alki Landing Party, added the wives’ names and honored the generosity of city namesake Chief Seattle and his Duwamish and Suquamish tribes.

This fall, the historical society and the Duwamish Tribe have teamed to go further, mounting a thorough follow-up: “The Spirit Returns 2.0: A Duwamish and Settler Story.” This venture is hosted at two West Seattle sites: the historical society’s 1904-vintage museum and the Duwamish Longhouse, which opened in 2009 on West Marginal Way.

In conversations that shaped their displays, the organizations decided to focus on differing aspects but also to weave a common thread — the early acts of friendship between the natives and settlers. The quest, as the historical society says, is to “uncover a new way to think about Seattle history.”

WEB EXTRAS

To see Jean Sherrard‘s 360-degree video of the “Now” prospect and compare it with the “Then” photo, and to hear this column read aloud by Clay Eals, check out our Seattle Now & Then 360 version of the column!

Below also are (1) a photo of the exhibit poster, (2) an “epilogue” by Alki historian Phil Hoffman and (3) nine more photos from the 2000 opening of “The Spirit Returns.”

Special thanks to West Seattle’s Deborah Mendenhall for preserving and sharing her 2000 slides of “The Spirit Returns” opening ceremony, and to Bruce and Emily Howard for their expert slide-scanning skills in helping make these images available to the public for the first time in color!

Poster for “The Spirit Returns 2.0” at the Duwamish Longhouse. (Clay Eals)
Click the image above to read a pdf of an “epilogue” by Alki historian Phil Hoffman.
The Suquamish Traditional Dance Group performs Nov. 13, 2000, at the opening of “The Spirit Returns” exhibit at the Log House Museum. This is an alternate version of our “Then” photo. (Deborah Mendenhall)
The Suquamish Traditional Dance Group performs Nov. 13, 2000, at the opening of “The Spirit Returns” exhibit at the Log House Museum. This is an alternate version of our “Then” photo. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Visitors watch the Nov. 13, 2000, opening ceremony of “The Spirit Returns” at the Log House Museum. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Cecile Hansen, chair of the Duwamish Tribe, speaks during the Nov. 13, 2000, opening ceremony of “The Spirit Returns” at the Log House Museum. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Lorelle Sian-Chin (left) visits with Cecile Hansen, chair of the Duwamish Tribe, at the Nov. 13, 2000, opening ceremony of “The Spirit Returns” at the Log House Museum. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Visitors peruse “The Spirit Returns” at its opening day Nov. 13, 2000, at the Log House Museum. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Visitors peruse “The Spirit Returns” at its opening day Nov. 13, 2000, at the Log House Museum. Artifacts included a cedar-bark hat worn by Chief Seattle, at back center. (Deborah Mendenhall)
Visitors peruse “The Spirit Returns” at its opening day Nov. 13, 2000, at the Log House Museum. Pat Filer, then-museum manager, stands at left, while present-day “Now & Then” columnist Clay Eals (red shirt) stands at right. (Deborah Mendenhall)
A TV news cameraman records “The Spirit Returns” at its opening day Nov. 13, 2000, at the Log House Museum. Artifacts included a cedar-bark hat worn by Chief Seattle at back center, and a model of the Schooner Exact, right. (Deborah Mendenhall)

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.